1. What can our energy storage system do for your site?
Capping peak loads with the energy storage system reduces high annual electricity costs, due to some short-term high loads. Production at your site can be increased and optimized without overloading the grid thanks to the battery.
2. How does the capping of peak loads work?
Generally, the average value of the reference power in a 15-minute period is measured to calculate the cost of electricity. The highest value resulting from the so-called load peak is the basis for the company’s grid connection fee. By capping the load peaks, the average values are lowered. For our energy management system (EMS), we have developed algorithms that shift high reference loads to a battery. This can save up to 80% of grid connection fees.
3. What are the special regulations in StromNEV. §19?
Grid connection fees account for about 25% of the total electricity bill for industrial sites. Due to the planned investments in the German electricity grids, grid fees could double in 2025, compared to 2017. The special provision of StromNEV. §19 allows companies to reduce grid connection fees under certain conditions. A distinction is made between the application cases standard, electric-intensive and atypical. According to this regulation, our battery storage system can offer you the following three savings options:
- Capping of the highest 15-minute load peaks
- Reduction of the energy demand during the high load time windows, which are published annually by the distribution network operators
- Increasing the time of use to over 7000h/year for sites consuming more than 10 GWh/year
It depends on your load profile which of these usage options is the optimal for your site. Ready to evaluate your savings potential? Contact us
4. Which industries can use our peak load capping service?
Any industry from the industrial sector is suitable for our battery system. The site should consume more than 5GWh per year.
5. What are the advantages of EDF Renewables BESS?
Our optimally sized battery, adapted to production, results in significant savings on their site’s grid charges.
EDF Renewables’ solution has unprecedented advantages:
- No initial investment by the customer. EDF Renewables covers the cost of the battery (on average €100,000/100kw).
- Attractive remuneration system with annual profit from savings
- Algorithms specially developed by EDF Renewables and adapted to the needs of each customer with real-time update.
- Adaptable storage system in case of changes in production methods
- Competent teams with many years of experience.
- Participation in the FCR market and thus in the integration of renewable energies into the German electricity grid.
6. What does the EDF Renewables peak load capping service include?
EDF Renewables takes care of:
- Dimensioning and installation of the battery system on site
- Handling of all necessary permits
- Control of the EMS with transparent information on battery operation at all times
- O&M and possible module replacement
- Dismantling and transport of the battery
7. How much does the battery system and peak load capping service cost?
You do not need to make an investment upfront. EDF Renewables will cover the investment costs for you, as well as installation and procurement. We share the annual savings with you through an annual fee.
8. What is the annual profit?
The net profit depends on the load profile and grid charges of the site. EDF Renewables offers three battery system options: Standard, Power Intensive, and Atypical. It depends on your load profile which of these options is the most profitable for your site.
For more information, Contact us!
9. How will my load profile be analyzed?
- Through a discussion with our experts, an assessment of the type and size of the battery is conducted, as well as the sizing of the peak load service
- An initial analysis of the load curve is made
- Our team will visit your site for a detailed planning and dimensioning of the installation
10. How big is the storage system?
The BESS is located in a standard container with dimensions of 2.4m x 2m x 2.5m (LxWxH).
11. Where will the battery storage system be installed?
The exact location of the BESS will be determined with you before installation. Our EPC will make suggestions as to where the battery could be set up best. The BESS can be installed outdoors, with an exclusion area of at least 2m around the container. The exact size of the exclusion area and the type of barrier will be determined according to local conditions.
12. Who takes care of maintenance and servicing?
On-site maintenance and servicing is carried out by the control center from our partner REETEC. It is possible to train your company’s technicians so that they can take the first steps to repair in the event of a malfunction.
13. How can I track the activity of the battery?
We will inform you in real time about the start of the battery when the power requested by the site exceeds Pmax. When the battery starts, you will receive a message via SMS or email. The parameters of these messages will be defined with you depending on the site.
In addition, you will receive an detailed annual report on:
- The load curve, reads on the site meter to visualize the battery’s operating time
- The load curve of the site as it would have looked without the battery
- Performance indicators to evaluate the system and the resulting benefits
14. What happens if the site’s power consumption changes?
The battery is sized to cap load peaks above a certain size, and the algorithms we have developed “learn” regularly from current consumption data. In the event of a major change in the consumption profile from the site, e.g. due to the use of new machinery or a significant change in the production process, the sizing can be adjusted thanks to our flexible battery design. This can lead to an adjustment of the agreed rent (increase or decrease depending on the new characteristics of the battery).
15. Does the battery charging time increase the power consumption of the site?
No, algorithms have been developed for the battery to recharge only when your site’s power consumption is low. This algorithm is based on the energy consumption of previous years and is updated in real time.